Thursday, December 16, 2004

Boy Refuses Assignment, Parents Interrogated

The Washington Post is reporting that the parents of an 11 year old boy who refused an assignment to write to a Marine by saying "(The Marines) might as well die, as much as I care" received a visit from police and were questioned in their home for three hours.

The boy's mother, Pamela Albaugh, said:

"It was intimidating," she said. "I told them it's like a George Orwell novel, that it felt like they were the thought police. If someone would have asked me five years ago if this was something my government would do, I would have said never."

What I find chilling is this part of statement that was placed in the boy's file after he was suspended.
Instead, Yishai (the boy) said he has learned that it is not worth challenging authority. "At the end of the day, you lose," he said, adding: "All of these freedoms and things they're supposed to uphold, they bash them."
Are these the values we want to teach our children?

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist B' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP